As you may (or may not) know today is my birthday. People call it the big 3-0. Yeah, I guess they are something I just don't know if big is the word.
People look at me funny because I don't like birthdays but I can't fake it I think they are not that big of a deal. I do however think that new year's eve is particularly special.
But the fact that I don't like to celebrate birthdays doesn't mean that I am not grateful! I even have a 30-things-list as a way to celebrate the years I've lived.
I am happy right now. I am still fighting and struggling to become the person I want to be. Which is more or less an olympian..nah just kidding.
So far I've managed to accomplish a few things on my life-list:
- Backpacking through Europe
- Running my first marathon
- LIving abroad for some years
Few but remarkable.
And then somehow I've manage to accomplish more things that I didn't include on my list:
- Finding the perfect life partner. When I say perfect I am not being blindsided by his looks ;) but honestly it's hard enough to find a good pair of jeans to fit your body...what are the odds to finding a match to share your dreams, lifestyle, etc?
- Getting married. I know it is related to the one above but I must point out that marriage was NOT on my list. I used to think getting married was not for me, I had a lot of preconceived ideas. Had. Past tense.
- Having my own apartment. I've never included any kind of assets on my list. It didn't seem to me to be a goal to work for so I just didn't include it. But it happened. This year Heinz and I are officially owners of our apartment. It's not that big but it is enough for two. Perfect.
- Getting the job I wanted and then quiting. Yeap...saw it, applied to it, got it, realized it was not what I had thought, took the courage, faced my fears, decided to go freelance and quit the job. A lot went on while all of this happened so you get the short version but the truth is I was not feeling fulfilled at my job. I decided to quit a job at an international organization to launch my own business. Since then I am in the process of getting everything together and I am hoping it will be all set by mid august. I will share it with everyone here once it's up and running!!!
- Becoming a blogger. That I did not see it coming. Specially about healthy living! This blog has become a happy place for me. Not only do I get to write (which is a personal passion) but I get to be part of this great community of people thriving for a happier life.
- LIving 30 minutes away from the beach. My hair is bleached. Need I say more?
- Having the best night of my life. Over and over. You know how unplanned get-togethers, night-outs & runs turn out to be the best night, day, run of your life? I have plenty of those! Totally unplanned yet totally memorable.
- Becoming a runner. I thought it would help me lose some weight, I never imagined it would define who I am now.
- Finding yoga. I thought it would help me deal with sore muscles...little did I know it would be a life's passion.
- Having friends all over the world! I would have settled with the crazy ones I have here but for many reasons I have friends in countries like Japan, France, Spain, USA & the Dominican Republic! Pretty cool right?
As I talked to Heinz about all this yesterday -while zipping my last glass of wine as a twenty-something girl- I told him I had realized there are more unplanned awesome things in my life than the ones I planned. For a list obsessed person like me that is a life lesson. Happy birthday to me right?
The road is still long but I am happy wandering the path towards my goals and ok, from now on I am also happy just wandering.
Happy birthday little old and new old me!
Back in the day...when I was all about being cute and my parents were into cameras with flash. Obviously.